Carbon Monoxide, or CO, is often called “The Silent Killer.” It is an odorless, colorless and tasteless gas, and can develop when appliances that use gasoline or create fire are not properly ventilated. When exposed to a CO leak, people can experience flu-like symptoms in a matter of minutes! If not removed from the premises fast enough, people who have been exposed to CO can experience confusion, sleepiness or even death. Thankfully, symptoms disappear as soon as you move to a well ventilated area or step outside, but must be handled quickly to avoid becoming a more serious situation.
As we move into the colder months, windows will be shut and heaters will turn on, making it easier for Carbon Monoxide to get trapped in our homes. This may sound frightening, but thankfully there is something you can do to stop this deadly gasーinstall and do routine checks on your carbon monoxide detector! Keeping yourself and your family comfortable and ensuring safety for all is one of the most important aspects of homeowning, especially when it comes to such a common concern. If you own a rental property, it is illegal in the state of Wisconsin to not have a working CO detector in each home or unit you own. CO detectors are quick to install, easy to use and could save a life, making them one of the most important minor home renovations you could ever do.
There is no shortage of options for a great carbon monoxide detector, and when you install and perform routine checks, you can rest assured that you’ll be prepared if the time ever comes when there is a leak in your home. Experts recommend that you check your detector once a month to ensure optimal efficiency in protecting your home. If you’ve noticed that it’s time for a new detector, check out this list of options to find the product that works best for you.
To avoid carbon monoxide in your house, make sure any gas stoves are always turned off, chimneys are always open on fireplaces, and you are not idling cars in your closed garage. For more information about Carbon Monoxide, visit the Wisconsin Department of Health services informational page here.
Tags: carbon monoxide, home safety, homeowner tips
Categories: Home Improvement, Homeowner
Leave a Reply